Introduction: Some LinkedIn Statistics
Love it (some do) or hate it (some do) or in between (many), LinkedIn is a Player
- As of June 30, 2012 (the end of the second quarter), professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate of approximately two new members per second.
- As of August 2, 2012, LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 175 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- Sixty-two percent of LinkedIn members are located outside of the United States, as of August 2, 2012.
- LinkedIn members did nearly 4.2 billion professionally-oriented searches on the platform in 2011 and are on pace to surpass 5.3 billion in 2012.
The 30 Day Linking Blitz: Concept
A collaborative project, in which each participant commits to take action on his/her LinkedIn presence and activity, over a 30 day period.
To make more effective use of our LinkedIn memberships.
As LinkedIn continues to grow in numbers, makes a range of changes to how the platform functions (e.g. new formats for company pages, professional profiles), and moves more decisively away from older perceptions of a fairly static “online Rolodex(tm)” towards being an interactive networking platform, there is an opportunity to leverage the changed environment for the benefit of our careers and businesses.
We are all busy and there are so many things we “could” do and “should” do, this opportunity can easily slip away. Time for some individual, collegially supported action.
By participating in a time limited, collaborative project, sharing what works and what doesn’t, encouraging one another and being mutually accountable (in a general way, this is not meant to be onerous!), we can achieve our individual and maybe group aims more speedily and with more current and hopefully ongoing traction than if each of us took action alone (or worse, just thought about it!).
By participating in this project, each of us aims to:
- amplify our social presence
- enhance our network reach and level of influence
- improve our network engagement
- be more readily findable, for the products and/or services we offer
The Basic Commitments
Participants commit to:
- taking part in a broad program of LinkedIn activity on the basis of spending 20 minutes a day, 6 days a week, on tasks drawn from a general list (see below)
- being part of a closed LinkedIn group established for the purpose
- as appropriate, sharing with the group their experience of and challenges with the project
Participants will agree:
- not to use the group for self-promotion outside the scope of the project
- not to spam the group with self-promoting links to blog posts, events etc (compliance to be enforced rigorously)
- to respect the right of other members of the group who may choose not to accept invitations for LinkedIn connections just on the basis of being members of the group
Weekly program of activities
A weekly program comprises a basic commitment of 20 minute a day, 6 days weekly, on a range of actions including some or all of the following, depending on the member’s “state of engagement” on LinkedIn.
A. General tasks which may take some blocks of time but will generally not be in the “daily tasks” list
- Update professional profile for greater findability (search optimization) and to make a more effective impression on viewers
- Set up or expand LinkedIn Company Page
- Review LinkedIn Groups memberships and participation effectiveness
- Consider establishing a group you can own (preferably not one of those groups with only one or two members!)
B. Daily tasks
(select from these: for most or all of us, not every one of these will be done every day within a 20 minute timeframe)
- post 3 updates – can be just shares of another person’s updates, or links to LinkedIn Today items
- 1 recommendation for a LinkedIn connection
- 3 endorsements for LinkedIn connections
- 1 response on LinkedIn Answers
- 1 question on LinkedIn Answers and reply to those answering (suggest for those not used to using Answers this could effectively be just one a week)
- invite 1 new connection
- post 1 discussion topic on a Group
Des Walsh’s commitment
I commit to:
- initiating and promoting the project
- general coordination
- setting up and managing a closed LinkedIn Group
- facilitating, for those interested, a weekly discussion on appropriate platform
Our time and commitment
2012: Start Date was Monday Nov 5
We closed the membership on the launch day and had 241 registered participants.
The event was deemed very successful by a number of the participants and there has been keen interest in having another Blitz in 2013.
Planning is underway for a second “blitz”, probably starting mid February.
To be kept in the loop on that and have early notice of the launch of that round, please provide your name and email address in the spaces below.
If you need more information, email me at deswalsh(at)webartsco.com