I’m launching a new group on Facebook, the Coffee Break Network.
Rationale and Group Concept
First, why am I doing this?
My Linking Business Professionals group on LinkedIn (originally the 30 Day LinkedIn Blitz Group) has passed its use-by date. I am increasingly unimpressed by the user interface for LinkedIn Groups, and as LinkedIn seems to be on a path of completely hobbling group owners, I decided it was time to move on.
But I love having a group where people can come together, discuss, share and help one another.
There are many of us in business who want to thrive, not just survive, and I am a firm believer in the value of community – actually, the necessity of community – to help us do that.
I like facilitating open, non-manipulative conversation between smart people. I learn from the wisdom of the community. From creating and leading online groups I have made many wonderful professional connections and enduring personal friendships, and I like that!
It gives me another way to let people know what I do professionally and hopefully attract some business.
Business is a conversation because the defining work of business is conversation – literally.
David Weinberger, The ClueTrain Manifesto
A business-focused group.
A sharing community discussing business – ethical, profitable, part of a balanced life.
How will it work?
- Relishing conversation without pitching
- Prioritizing conversation and relationships
- Building relationships one at a time
- Cooperative not competitive
- Encouraging referrals
- Encouraging and facilitating virtual coffee (or tea) meetups between individuals
- Spam free, hustle free zone
- Ask and get questions answered in a trusted environment
- Providing opportunities to share challenges and successes
Who is it for?
Business owners, entrepreneurs, consultants, business coaches, life coaches – i.e. just about anyone interested in business.
- No promos, no links to own sites, however ingeniously done
- If you can’t converse without trying to turn every exchange into a business opportunity, this is not the group for you
- The usual zero tolerance for divisive comments, personal abuse etc
- A member is allowed to be annoyed or offended by an executive decision of mine and I am allowed not to be too bothered by that – community always comes first
- Other rules I may think of or which may come to be seen as necessary
Conversations among human beings sound human. They are conducted in a human voice.
#3 of 95 Theses, The Cluetrain Manifesto
Latest posts by Des Walsh (see all)
- New Facebook Group for Real Conversation and Great Business Relationships - February 16, 2017
- Leading Local Economic Development: Cr Hermann Vorster [Podcast] - February 2, 2017
- Transforming Careers, Guiding Business: Larry Cornett: [Podcast] - December 9, 2016